About Me

My photo
Victoria, BC, Canada

Wednesday 8 February 2012

Breakthrough Break

A few weeks ago I deleted my Facebook account in hopes of having some sort of mind blowing creative epiphany where I would produce an elegant piece of artwork including multi-media concepts with an inspiring message that would speak to the masses.  Well, it didn't happen.  I am very pregnant, tired, a little bit lonely, and stressed.  I have been in this frame of mind before.  It is called survival mode.  After spending three eventful hours at the E.I. office trying to organise my maternity leave or sitting in a room full of couples at the obstetrician's office, the last thing I feel like is being creative.  The first thing I feel like doing is loosing myself on Facebook, looking at my ex-boyfriends' profiles, paging through photos of people I barely know who have 'picture perfect' lives.  Photos of them at weddings, baby showers, travelling, hiking, and attending other social events that are all documented and preserved perfectly and forever on Facebook. 
There are people that do not care about their profiles.  These are people that aren't afraid to say negative things on their statuses, or post pictures of themselves with a lump or bump showing.  I always like those people.  Then  there are people who carefully edit their profiles.  Only positive comments and quotes fill their pages. There are people that rarely check their facebook account and others who are faithfully connected through their cellphones and e-mail accounts transforming status updates from 'friends' with whom they don't even speak with on a one on one basis into a form of feeling connected to someone or something. But is it something?
In my situation I was feeling helpless towards Facebook. Facebook was making me feel bad.  Or maybe it was me making Facebook feel bad?  Perhaps I was just feeling bad and it had nothing to do with Facebook.  Stalking people never makes you feel good in any situation.  Lets just put it that way. Because I have not been working and my social activity is at a low, Facebook was taking the place of being with people and not doing a very good job.  I know it is the way of the future and I don't think it is a bad thing.  I am just confused about where and how it should fit into our lives.  I am not deleting it from my life permanently, but I do believe this break is necessary in some way. 
So if I have not had my groundbreaking creative epiphany, at least I feel partially released from the grip of social networking for a little while.  I still check my e-mail every day and of course I am writing in a blog... but I don't know what everyone is doing all day unless they call me or send me a message.  This makes me feel good and I guess that is all I was going for to begin with!

No comments:

Post a Comment